Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: This Group is Getting Fun!

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Nice to see new members and lots of posts.
    I have been an Altec user since 1972, and remember clearly having to "defend" myself in front of countless HIFI salesman who said...."You listen to Voice of the Theaters"? Are you nuts?
    Anyway.....how cool that Altec lives to this day.
    BTW....get some tube amps and really enjoy how they sound.....

    And.......donate a few $$$$ to the site. It's worth it....and TW didn't even put me up to this. :-)

    Ron

  2. #2
    Hostboard Member Tranquil's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2005
    Posts
    69
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'll be glad to here what some of your recommend / favorite tube amps are.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If you want (potentially) cheap thrills you might try hot-rodding vintage Dynaco:

    Dynaco rebuild

    Dynaco Doctor

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member just me now's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2004
    Posts
    230
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    sometimes I have been known to run my M19s with a Heathkit AA151 (14WPC) Tube amp -- really great for low level listening of Jazz, Classical, early blues
    but when I want to listen to modern dance music (or disco for that matter) I find that a strong SS amp provides for better transient response (I normally use my EV 7300A for dance music -- tighter Bass)

    when listening to bass heavy music with the tubes it seems a bit muddy to me, lots of SS power = better....

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    I have used a variety of tube amps. Usually zero (global) feedback PP amps. Either triode connected pentodes (El34,6550,etc) or directly heated triodes (6B4G,300B)
    The amp in my avatar is a PP300B transformer coupled amp. About 35 watts. Pretty much my design....but it's nothing that hasn't been done before!
    Ron

  6. #6
    Hostboard Member Tranquil's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2005
    Posts
    69
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    Hot-rodding vintage Dynaco. Now this looks very interesting. I own a fender twin rev.amp that I use on a Rhodes piano and it sounds great especially after she gets nice and hot. Ron I always admired that amp on your avatar nice work. Altecs Dynaco also looks great. I have to complete building my cabs before I take on another project. In the mean time I'll just lust. Thanks for shearing guys.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member DonM's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2004
    Posts
    29
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was hooked by an Altec A7 in 1977 when I worked in audio visual to finance the college years.

    Up to 2001 I had a pair of Tannoy Monitor Gold speakers primarily due to the smaller cabinet. My final creations can be viewed under the DIY section of the Single Driver Web site.

    We moved recently to a larger home and now I'm working on a project with a pair of Altec 416a's & 806's.

    To be completely different I'm using a Panasonic SA-XR45 receiver which has the famous TI Equibit chips. It has retired both my Bryston & NAD amps for the time being.

    Don M

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.